Which extra certification courses will benefit mechanical engineering students in the long-run?
Ad by Harvard Business Analytics Program
Complete the Harvard Business Analytics Program online.
Modern business runs on data. Become a more informed leader with a certificate in data analytics online.
Mechanical Engineering graduates can choose different careers based on personnel interest. There are two main streams for Mechanical Engineering jobs which are Production and Construction. I will explain it further.
Production is mainly related to design, manufacturing, sales and maintenance of equipment and tools. Usually it is factory based job where productions take place. Design of components, manufacturing of components, quality check of components (destructive/Non Destructive Tests), assembly of equipment, automation of equipment (hydraulic/ pneumatic/ motor operated) are part of it. Accordingly design related courses (software) or manufacturing related courses (welding /forging/CNC) or quality control related courses (Destructive Testing / Non Destructive Testing) may be selected.
Construction part is mainly related to industrial construction. Being a professional in this segment I can assure world wide placement opportunity with fair salary by work experience. Below listed are the main categories of industry.
- Oil and gas projects (RIG, Gas Oil Separation Plant, Refinery, Pipelines, Petrochemical Plants, Storage Tanks etc.).
- Power Plants (Thermal, Nuclear etc)
- Water Treatment Plants (Saline water conversion / waste water treatment etc)
- Ship Building is also coming in this category
- Construction of Fertilizers / Steel plants / Cement Plants
Usually these constructions follows international standards and placement opportunity is world wide.
Similar to production segment construction segment also has design, fabrication, quality control, Corrosion Prevention and automation of the plant.
- Design: Pressure Vessel, Heat Exchanger, Storage Tanks, Piping, Pipeline etc
- Fabrication: Cutting, Fit-up, Welding etc (Welding Inspector course: AWS-CWI / CSWIP Certification)
- Quality Control: Destructive Testing and Non Destructive Testing (ASNT / PCN Certification)
- Corrosion Prevention: Surface Preparation & Coating (NACE / BGAS Certification)
- Automation: Automation of plant with PLC
Candidates must take care to choose internationally recognized certification courses.
i would like to answer. because i have done some courses during engineering and they all seem to be beneficial for me right now.
so it depends upon your interests. for e.g. if you like math you should go for MAT LAB and believe me MAT LAB is something which is really going to make you valuable for employer
and if you like designing and your are good with drawing then you should go for CAD & CAM softwares like Auto CAD, CATIA, CREO, SOLID WORKS, SOLID EDGE, NX, MASTERCAM etc. there are so many in market, you can pick 2-3 softwares
and if you dont want deal with softwares and really want some practical knowledge then you should go for courses like CNC machining(lathe & milling), qualitiy assurance, EDM machining etc. there are plenty of tool rooms which are providing these type of courses.
and at last if you are intrested in some computer programming which is also a good thing for mechanical engineer you can do some courses for java, python and android along side your mechanical engineering
and still there are infinite courses but the prime factor is your interest, you can also do some expertise courses after graduation like some diploma courses based on your field
What is it like to get a COVID vaccine? Read real stories.
It’s normal to have questions about the COVID vaccines. We have answers. Learn more today.
Nondestructive Testing is the best certification course for mechanical engineering students in long run.
- There is a huge requirement for NDT engineers in the international market.
- The industry is growing NDT engineers are limited, due to less awareness about NDT.
- NDT is used in many industries such as; oil & gas, petroleum, refinery, aircraft, Aerospace, Energy, Power, Nuclear, Transport, and job opportunities are huge.
- Because of the high demand and low supply of certified NDT technicians, the National Science Foundation has funded a very informative website that explains what NDT is all about and what job opportunities there are for you. You can visit the site at www.ndt-ed.org to find information on:
- What is NDT?
- NDT use in the Aircraft Industry
- Careers in NDT
- Ten good reasons to pursue a career in NDT
- Placement and Pay.
I did NDT Level 2 from “ANDT, Greater Noida” and got high profile job in Saudi Arabia with a handsome salary. Training content is as per industry requirement and lectures are explained in simple words which is easy to understand. As per my experience after working with NDT professionals I got to know that Best institute for NDT certification in India is Advanced Institute of Nondestructive Testing & Training (ANDT, Greater Noida).
I think I can answer this question
First of all you need to know the present scenario in mechanical engineering. The pure form of mechanical engineering is too vast so we are provided with the benefit of doing specialisation.
We are now in 21st century and today having a degree in mechanical engineering is no use at all because you can’t survive in industry. Automation is going to take every industry in a decade or so.
So you start developing your intrest in programming because you would have to teach the machines how to work. If you are a mechanical engineer with some knowledge of programming then u stand out of the crowd.
So in my opinion if you want to do some course certification you should try for FEA its a advance software in mechanical engineering along with abacauss or you can learn CFD and ANSYS.
These software will lead your future in R&D department of the company
There are many other certification which you can Google but according to me these are important and interesting . You will have fun learning them
Hope it helps you!
If you are interested in either Aerodynamics or Robotics, you can do certification courses from the various companies that offer workshops on building a glider, quadcopter, micromouse, image processing based robot, line follower etc. You can try out some workshops that teach how to make legged robots, humanoids etc.
If you want to develop more fundamentals in the field of mechanical engineering, you can do courses offered by Coursera – Free Online Courses From Top Universities and edX. You need to pay them about $40-60 to get a certificate of completion. But that certificate is also signed by the University that is offering the course. You can put this on your resume and attach proofs too.
And finally I would also suggest you to follow the news for current trends in mechanical engineering fields like automobiles, robots, drones etc which partly or fully utilises some concepts from mechanical engineering, whichever inspires and fascinates you.
Before you shop at Amazon Prime, read this.
The dead giveaway that tells you when Amazon’s giving you a better price than other retailers.
Beside various courses mentioned in different answers, you may do a course in Piping or Static Engineering. There are various institutions providing these courses. These fields have good opportunities.
You can also do certification in following courses:
- NDT testing and work as Quality Inspector or Engineer
- Primavera and work as a Scheduler or Planning Engineer
- Stress analysis software such as CAESAR 2 or piping design software such as PDMS.
Please note that learning is more important than just getting a certificate because while applying for a job or while doing the actual work you will require knowledge.
You can try professional certificate for perticular software like Solidworks, Ansys, Pro-E, MATLAB, etc. there are many certification programs available by the producers of these softwares and also 3rd party certification courses are available. These will certainly help you with your resume.
If you don’t want that option, and just want to do something in your free time Sign up for MOOC and start collecting honor code certuficates in courses of your interest, they aren’t as effective as professional certificates but are better then nothing, and also you have many options to choose.
Lastly you can also join Formula Student,BAJA or any equivalent active team from your campus.
Thanks for A2A.
I am second year undergraduate so my experience in this field is very limited.
There are various courses mentioned in different answers, you can do courses in piping or static engineering.
- Institutions providing such courses. are having good opportunities.
*you can also do certification in these following courses:
- stress analysis software, caesar 2, piping design software, and PDMS.
- Primavera work as a scheduler or planning engineer
- NDT testing and work as a quality inspector or engineer.
- There is a huge requirement for NDT engineers in the international market.
- With the high demand and low supply of certified NDT technicians, the national science foundation has funded a very informative website that explains what NDT is all about and what job opportunities are.
- Plz, remember that learning is more important than just getting a certificate because while applying for a job or while doing the actual work you will require knowledge.
It depends on your interest. There are many courses for designing like CAD, CATIA, Pro E etc. There is CNC coding course which will e beneficial for you in the future. There are very few mechanical engineers who know CNC coding. So it will be a great option. Also another field which is emerging rapidly in India is 3D printing. 3D printing is the field which have great scope in India. For eg. You can make a leg for the crippled person very cheaply by using 3D printers. So it will be in great demand. These are the courses which I think will be beneficial for you in the future.
If you interested in design field,you can try this,
i have seen lot of opportunities around the world below subjects
1. Piping draftsman
2. Piping design engineer
3. Piping stress engineer
1. Structural draftsman
2. Structural design engineer
3. Structural stress engineer
1. Pressure vessel draftsman
2. Pressure vessel design engineer
1. Heat exchanger draftsman
2. Heat exchanger design engineer
1. Storage tank draftsman
2. Storage tank design engineer
1. Skid modelling engineer or Skid draftsman
2. Skid design engineer
1. Software modeller for FEA
2. FEA engineer = 3 weeks
you can learn this from a engineering company,check www.3d-labs.com
I never hoped my college will do such a favor for me in teaching Solidworks in my College level,
I have Finished
CSWP-Certified Solidworks Professional
CSWA – Certified Solidworks Associate in my College Level.
Later only, I have Found out that no College’s Teaches CSWP in Colleges, So i’m Grateful for my College,
Coming to Certification,
Yes, Certification in any Course leads you to Stand-out in competitive World.